RYA PPR - Professional Practices & Responsibilities
The PPR is a compulsory online interactive course for new and revalidating RYA Commercial Endorsement holders.
DO YOU REQUIRE THIS COURSE?
Each year approximately 4,500 people apply to the RYA for a Commercial Endorsement, in order to use their RYA
qualifications professionally as skipper or crew e.g.
Charter/Corporate/Superyacht Skippers and Crew, RIB drivers, Workboat Skippers, RYA Instructors and many more.
You could be doing anything from delivering a new 35’ yacht or driving a workboat with lifting and towing gear, to running a superyacht in the Med. Whatever your job is on board, in the commercial world you are a professional seafarer. As such, you are no different from the captain of a cruise liner – you have a duty of care to crew, passengers, and other water users, and you will be held to account if things go wrong.
PREVIEW THE RYA PPR TASTER BELOW
The course is broken down into four modules:
- Commercial environment - how you fit into the professional maritime world.
- People – the importance of correct manning, keeping your skills up to date and the safe management of commercial vessels.
- Vessel – the compulsory carriage and maintenance of safety equipment and how to create and implement risk control and operating procedures.
- Purpose – making sure your vessel is suitable and legal for the work you are carrying out, your obligations in protecting the environment, appropriate planning and situational awareness.
On completing the modules there is a mock assessment, so you can check you are ready before moving on to the final graded online assessment. On average we estimate users will take around 6 to 8 hours to work through the 4 course modules. The graded end of course assessment is split into two sections, 2 ½ hours is allocated to complete these.
HOW TO TAKE THE PPR COURSE
Please contact us and we'll provide you with remote access to the Interactive Website for £39. You can study in your own time and take this course any time prior to your Commercial Endorsement application or renewal. Your PPR certificate will be valid either for your first Commercial Endorsement application or your next renewal.
EXEMPTIONS FROM THIS COURSE
If you hold an MCA Deck Officer's Certificate of Competence as Officer of the Watch, Master 200*, Master 500 or above you do not need to take the PPR course. Please send a copy of your MCA certificate with your application or renewal form for your commercial endorsement.
* Please note the 'Master 200' referred to here is the MCA Master 200gt STCW qualification. This is not the RYA/MCA Yachtmaster™ qualification.
RENEWING A COMMERCIAL ENDORSEMENT
All new applicants for a commercially endorsed RYA Certificate of Competence must first pass the PPR course. Anyone renewing a commercially endorsed RYA Certificate of Competence must pass the PPR course prior to their next renewal date, if they haven't already done so.
To apply for a Commercial Endorsement you will require the following:
- Your original certificate – Powerboat Level 2 to Yachtmaster Offshore
- Your Professional Practices and Responsibilities certificate
- An ML5 or ENG1 medical fitness certificate
- A copy of your RYA Basic Sea Survival or STCW Personal Survival Techniques certificate
- RYA First Aid or STCW Elementary First Aid Certificate (in date) or another acceptable certificate*
- RYA SRC Radio Certificate or other acceptable marine radio operator's certificate*
- A passport sized photo with your name on the back
- A commercial endorsement application form and the correct fee
*Only required if applying for a commercial endorsement to a Day Skipper, Powerboat Level 2 or Advanced Powerboat Course Completion Certificate. The Commercial Endorsement application form and addition information is available via the RYA website