Poole Harbour Sea Survival - RYA Radar Training Courses in Dorset
The RYA radar course is designed to give small craft seafarers an understanding of radar as an aid to navigation and for collision avoidance. At night and especially in poor visibility the radar can be a lifesaver but it is down to the operator to make to most of the electronics on board! To get the best from your radar at any time you must know how to set up and use the radar correctly, and to be aware of the limitations of the equipment.
International regulations state that if you have a radar on board you must know how to use it.
The course will start at 0900 and finish for 1700 on the day.
- Basic radar principals – radar wave propagation
- Controls – radar controls, functions and set up procedure
- Picture – radar display, target characteristics, shadows, echoes
- Use of radar for navigation and pilotage
- Plotting - collision avoidance, an understanding of International Regulations for Preventing Collision at Sea (IRPCS)
- Radar reflectors
- Safety precautions
No previous experience is necessary however, an understanding of basic navigation would be useful.
The RYA course book Radar Course Questions and answers G38 is included in the course fee, as is the RYA navigation chart. Additional resources are G34 the RYA ‘Introduction to Radar’ and ‘Radar Afloat’ by Tim Bartlett by Fernhurst Books. Please bring along a notebook and pen; paper and pencil; navigation plotter and dividers or a compass are provided but if you would like to use your own equipment please do so.
The courses are held at the PHSS Training Centre, Poole. PHSS use the latest software for the course which enables many scenarios to be played out in the classroom which you would not be able to replicate on boat a boat locally. The course can be run on your own boat subject to conditions or a follow up day or half day session putting your new skills into practice.
On successful completion of the course.
- If you already own a radar, bring along your manual so you can refer to your own equipment throughout the day.
- There are a limited number of places on each course so please book early to avoid disappointment.
- Light refreshments tea and coffee are provided.
- Lunch is available locally, or bring your own if you like.
OWN BOAT RADAR TUITION
Following on from the course how about some day and/or night radar tuition on your own boat. Please contact us for half or full day rates.
Group bookings taken, courses can be run anywhere subject to terms and conditions, call for details.