RYA / MCA Sea Survival - a one-day course that provides an understanding of how to use marine safety equipment.
This comprehensive 1 day course will give you the essential practical skills and theoretical knowledge to react effectively to an emergency abandonment with or without a liferaft. It includes an invaluable practical session in a swimming pool. PHSS has been supported by Viking Life-Saving Equipment and provides quality equipment for your use and demonstration purposes throughout the day.
- Liferaft types and emergency packs
- Lifejackets, flares and emergency beacons
- Hypothermia and survival first aid
- Practical: abandonment, individual and group entry
- Practical: righting a capsized raft
- Practical; survival techniques without a liferaft
- Rescue techniques
No previous experience is necessary.
RYA Sea Survival course Handbook is provided. You are encouraged to bring along your own lifejacket and wet weather gear including footwear, for the practical swimming pool session. This experience will give you valuable confidence in your own equipment. Check your own manufacturers guidelines for equipment use and cleaning. Especially lifejacket disarming and repacking. Consider sending your lifejacket to a recognised serving agent to be checked and repacked after the training.
Please ensure your clothing and equipment is clean, and that all pockets are emptied of their contents. The minimum requirement for the pool is a sweat top and bottoms or similar, and a lifejacket. Otherwise overalls and a lifejacket are available on the day.
Please do not forget your towel, swimwear, and bag to put your wet gear into on completion.
0830 start, finishing around 1630 on the day. Check you email for confirmation of times and location which may vary.
The course will be held at the PHSS Training Centre as per your joining information. Directions will be provided on the day for the practical pool session in the afternoon. The training venue and pool location may change subject to group, size, weekend or midweek bookings. Check you email for confirmation of times and training venue location.
On successful completion of the course.
- Light refreshments tea and coffee is provided.
- Lunch breaks will be short so a packed lunch is preferable however shops/cafes are close by.
- The course certificate is required for a commercial endorsement and is a RYA/World Sailing requirement for the certain racing.
Group bookings taken, courses can be run anywhere subject to terms and conditions, call for details.